How does a Health Savings Account work?
An HSA is similar to a normal checking account. You can make eligible medical purchases with your HSA Debit Card, pay bills online, or even make a transfer.
Make a Contribution to Your HSA
You have options when it comes to contributing funds to your HSA.
- Payroll – If you have a High Deductible Health Plan through your employer, you can choose to contribute pre-tax funds to your HSA from your paycheck.
- Online Transfers – You can choose to transfer funds to your HSA when logged into HSA Central or the HSA Central App.
- Transfer Existing Funds – You can rollover or transfer your existing HSA funds to your HSA Central Account.
Spend Your HSA Funds
You have options when it comes to spending your HSA funds.
- Use Your HSA Central Debit Card – Use your HSA Central Debit Card for eligible medical purchases in-stores, at the doctor, and at other medical merchants.
- Make a Payment with Online Bill Pay – Pay the provider or a medical bill by logging into HSA Central or the HSA Central App and using our online bill pay feature.
Reimburse Yourself for Eligible Medical Expenses
If you pay for an eligible medical expense out-of-pocket, you can reimburse yourself by either:
- Accessing funds at an ATM
- Logging into HSA Central and sending a check through the online portal.
The HSA Central App
Once you have opened your HSA and created a username and password, you get access to the HSA Central App, a mobile app dedicated to the management of your HSA funds. Here’s a glimpse of what you can do:
- View account activity and check balances
- Make an HSA contribution or distribution
- Enter and track expenses
- Make a payment from your account
- Reimburse yourself by taking a picture of a receipt
- Scan or view eligible medical expenses
Download the HSA Central App by searching HSA Central in your app store.
Don’t have a username and password? Get started here.
Open An HSA